Important factors considered for admission include extent of family involvement in parish life and the family’s support of the parish in regards to the stewardship concepts of time, talent and treasure. Any applicant who has been denied admission may appeal the decision to the Pastor.
In the event class size exceeds maximum enrollment, a wait list will be created. If positions within that class become available, they will be filled using the following criteria:
- Siblings of current St. Raphael students.
- Registered active parishioners who are siblings or children of St. Raphael School graduates.
- Registered active parishioners.
- Students transferring from another Catholic school.
- Non-parishioner Catholic families.
- Non-Catholic families.
The school may decline an applicant whose placement may impair the health, security, well-being or educational process of other students, or any applicants whose special needs might not be well-served by the programs of the school. Such decisions will be made by the Administration in concert with the SRCS internal learning support team to determine whether or not the school can meet the individual needs of the student.
- All applicants and their parents/guardians must arrange for an appointment with the Principal and are encouraged to “shadow” in their appropriate grade.
- The principal will evaluate all records including IEP’s (Individual Education Plan) or other reports.
- Upon acceptance, the school will notify parent/guardians at which time all required fees must be paid and the required documentation submitted for registration to be considered complete (birth certificate, baptismal certificate and registration forms).
- New students must meet the same requirements as enrolled students to enter the next grade level and/or to be able to participate in extracurricular activities.
- When the school’s educational program is not appropriately meeting the academic, behavioral, emotional, physical or psychological needs of a child either seeking entrance to the school or already attending the school, enrollment may be denied or discontinued.
Schools operated under the auspices of the Diocese of Joliet admit students of any race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally available to students at the schools. We will admit students who are non-Catholic per our Admission Policy. Parents and students must understand participation in Catholic religious instruction, school activities, and community service related to the Catholic identity of the school is required.
The following guideline has been established for class size at St. Raphael School to benefit academic performance and achievement:
Preschool: Target class size shall be 10 students. With a Teacher and Instructional Aide the Teacher to Student ratio is 1:5.
Pre-K: Target class size shall be 16 students. With a Teacher and Instructional Aide the Teacher to Student ratio is 1:8.
Grades K – 8: Target class size shall be 25 students. In order to accommodate siblings of students already enrolled in other grades, class size may be increased to 28. Primary grades have an Instructional Aide making their Teacher to Student ratio 1:12. Grades 1-8 split for Accelerated and On-Level Math and Enriched and On-Level English Language Arts (ELA) making their Teacher to Student ratio 1:12 in those subjects.
Illinois Age Requirements
It is recommended that students entering kindergarten are 5 years old by September 1st. Students entering first grade must be 6 years old by September 1st.